A Letter to Teachers

A Letter to Teachers

Ashley Markle, Reporter

As students, we do not express how much we really do appreciate each one of you. You may not know this, but each one of you affects us in many ways. You teach necessary material, while also teaching us how to act and how to take on the world. The feedback you give shapes us into who we are today. With that in mind, please allow the students of HHS to help with our constructive criticism. If we work together, we can make time to come a success.

We realize the challenge of thinking of new ways to communicate the information required for your job. However, as students, we yearn for the possibility of making learning more exciting. We live at the school, and need something to look forward to. Students recognize the same old routine of notes and lectures from years ago.

Senior, Jenna Cotter, thinks, “If the notes were more interactive, students would be more likely to pay attention. Like in anatomy, we use fill in the blank worksheets that go along with the notes, and then shows funny videos to liven up the notes a little bit.” Research shows doing more physical activities will help the students understand the material better.

Cameron Seay, 11th grader, gave her opinion by stating, “I like Intro to Film& Video because Mr. Hamilton uses humor while teaching us, he actually connects with us.” Knowing a teacher cares helps us connect and feel comfortable in the classroom.

When grading tests, look closely at how the scores come out. If there is a trend of low scores, chances are new methods should be tested for presenting information to the students. We are trying very hard to juggle all of our classes, please be open to working with us if we all fail a test.

Offering bonus points, or a retake will boost student’s motivation to work harder to get the extra credit. We want our grades to represent how hard we try. One bad test should not have to kill our grade.

Some subjects are easier to fix than others. For example, in English class, instead of just reading the story then having a test, after reading the book, teachers could have students watch the movie in class and allow them to bring a snack or a blanket to have a movie day. However, the activity should not go without a grade. After seeing the movie, students could have the assignment of comparing and contrasting the book with the movie.

Math classes might present more complications, although, it is very possible to mix things up. Once the lesson is taught, try to create a bingo board of some sort with only single numbers on it. Then, pull out cards with math problems on it, and have students work out the problems to find the answer. This method helps give students practice in a new and exciting way.

For science, more interactive lessons would help. Projects that require going to find specimens that relate to the lesson will help students learn the information better and remember it. When students are required to find their own information and record it, they are more likely to retain the material.

Teachers, thank you again for all your hard work, time and energy. If you use these few suggestions, life at school will be much better, for all of us.