Long Long Kang

Maggie Crigler, Reporter

Screen-Shot-2014-09-22-at-10.21.24-AMIf you hear our orchestra playing in the hallway you can assume Mr. Kang is conducting them. He is the newest addition the the music department here at Houston!

Music has always been a huge past of Mr. Kang’s life. At the young age of four, he became interested in playing. After years of practice, he has mastered the viola, cello, bass, trombone, and drums, however, the violin is his favorite. Seeing Itzhak Perlman play on TV was what instantly drew him to its unique sound.

Thirty years later, he is now teaching his passion to Houston’s musicians. Mr. Kangs biggest advise is to practice regularly and play with your heart. His favorite song is Beethoven Symphony No.9, a monumental piece that is from the history of western music. One day, he dreams of conducting this symphony.

Not only does he teach, but he is also the first violinist of the Memphis Symphony Orchestra, Music Director of the Gabriel Chamber Music, and a regular player at the Second Presbyterian Church.

The orchestra plans on having an outreach concert in December and a formal concert at GPAC on April 15 at 6:30. With Mr. Kang leading the student musicians,we are sure to see the Houston orchestra thrive this year.