From G’Town to Briarcrest – Houston is still #1

Antonio Scott, Reporter

Tuesday’s home game against Germantown was “…a great game,” said Head Coach Becky Pendleton. The Houston girls Volleyball team reigned victorious over the Red Devils in a match with the best defense Pendleton has seen from her players this season. Topping the Red Devils in 5 sets, our ladies scored 25-10, 25-19, 21-25, and 25-21 (Houston scores listed first).

On Wednesday, Pendleton said “[It] was the best game we [Houston] have played this season.” Senior player and team captain, Olivia Novotny played an all-around amazing game. “[Junior] Kylie Hayes played her best defense this season and [Junior] Krysta Medearis turned on her offense.” Pendleton said.

Lately, the lady Mustangs have “been working hard as a team and supporting each other,” said Pendleton. Continuing, “It was huge,” Pendleton said, stating major differences in making Tuesday’s game remarkable was the change in the starting lineup.

Last Thursday, the Houston girls Volleyball team was slated to go head to head with the lady Saints of Briarcrest. Rescheduled due to the inclement weather, the new date for the game is Tuesday, October 7, at Houston.

Houston’s biggest advantage over Briarcrest in their upcoming game is “having [all of] our starters back,” Pendleton said. Along with having a healthy team, the lady Mustangs possess “aggressiveness and momentum” as they head into October’s matchup against Briarcrest.

In this upcoming game, Houston is bigger and faster than the lady Saints’ squad. But, “this is the strongest team I’ve seen Briarcrest have in a while,” Pendleton stated, continuing, “This [Briarcrest] is a very good team.”

Radiating her excitement for the game due to the fact of a “really good practice [last Wednesday],” Pendleton said, continuing, “The girls are excited and they’ve been working really hard.” Pendleton said.

Thursday would have been the first game this season the team had all starters back on the court in three weeks. On the squad this year, leading the pack, is Senior Olivia Novotny. Juniors Kylie Hayes and Krysta Medearis lead the gang of 9 juniors. Two sophomores and one freshman add to this year’s “more experienced team”.

Those big starters back on the court include Freshman Maddie Howe, who returns to the court for the Lady Mustangs after being released from suffering a concussion. Juniors Kat Gries and Mary Lane Beason are back as well from being sick.

Due to an already impressive season, Houston ranks #1 in the county by The Commercial Appeal.

Even with the loss of big performance seniors, Emily Richardson and Charlotte Thompson, this year’s team is more experienced and seven team members are already being recruited by top notch Division I, II, and III schools.

Last year, the girls volleyball team earned a spot in the state tournament, and this year, Coach Pendleton aspires to get her girls back saying, “Yes, we will, we better, it’s an expectation this year for our team.”

Look out for your Houston girl’s volleyball team to spike up against Briarcrest on Tuesday, October 7, 2014.