Football Remains Undefeated

Football Remains Undefeated

Jonathan Jennings, Reporter

Houston continued their dominance Friday night by cruising past an overmatched Dickson County 34-13. The Mustangs were hitting on all cylinders through the air and on the ground.

Seth Cartwright started the scoring with a 3-yard touchdown run only to be matched by Dickson County with a 44-yard touchdown pass on their next possession.

The first half went back and forth with Houston adding two field goals by Jacob Painter in the last 2:53 of the half. The first a 33-yarder while the second sailed through as the half expired. Painter was put in position partially aided by a personal foul penalty called on the last play from scrimmage.

Jared Schmidt started the 3rd quarter with the first of his two touchdown passes. A 35-yard rainbow to sophomore, Emmett Whittaker, just out of the reach of the defender was followed by a 40-yard play action bomb to junior Chanse Pullen.

Senior Colby Cartwright had 113 yards and two touchdowns on the night while his brother, sophomore Seth Cartwright finished with 40-yards for the game.

The defense caused havoc all night while making Dickson County one-dimensional. The defensive play of the night came early on when Drew Dowdy made an over the shoulder, no look interception when the game was tied Senior, Justin Jones, made a few big plays including a sack on a crucial third down late in the game.

The team is now 4-0 on the season, but they are not getting ahead of themselves. Senior lineman, Benny Carroll, stated “It’s always a good feeling starting off the season with a winning streak like this but we are nowhere close to where we need to be yet, which is a state championship.”

Houston continues their road to state next week at home against rival Germantown.