Rolling out the Band

Rolling out the Band

Bryson Russell, Reporter

There’s a difference between walking and marching! Marching involves foot technique such as “rolling your feet” and as a band student memorizing and playing music while moving, a essential skill! The process of becoming a member of a successful band such as Houston is difficult. The process starts off during the summer, and involves countless hours of sweat and physical conditioning.
     Band camp starts two weeks before school. It runs an entire week from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM Monday toSaturday. The six days consist of memorizing music, marching drills, and practicing constantly. After the week ends we have a couple days before school starts to relax, recover, and prepare for the intensity of our leader about the emotional affect on you.
     During the school year members meet every Tuesday and Thursday after school until 4:30 PM to practice for marching performances. During practices, the band members have to band together and work together by talking about marching drill and about music to be sure that everyone does there part. Other than the band as a whole, the band is lead not only by its directors, but by its drum majors. This school year’s drum majors are Ronald Nelson and Jessie Lee. They guide the band and keep us in order so that the band as a whole can cooperate.
     Later, those performances lead to competitions. The band marches on many fields, some are well known such as the field at Vanderbilt University and the Memphis Liberty bowl. This school year the band program has a new assistant director that will help guide them.
For more information on the band visit thehoustonband.com