Miss New York Crowned Miss America

Miss New York Crowned Miss America

Antonio Scott, Reporter

On Sunday, September 14, 2014, the Miss America Organization held its annual competition to decide the 2015 crown holder. Top honors were awarded to Miss New York, Kira Kazantsev.

This is a record-breaking, third consecutive year the Miss New York titleholder has won the Miss America crown. In 2013, Miss New York Mallory Hytes Hagan, took the crown, and last year’s Miss New York, Nina Davuluri, won the national title as well.

Kazantsev, 22, is a graduate of the Hofstra University Honors College. Finishing her undergraduate career with a triple major in Political Science, Global Studies, and Geography, she plans to attend law school and pursue work in women’s issues and international diplomacy. As a first generation American, Kazantsev speaks Russian fluently in addition to Spanish.

Kazantsev has participated in the Miss America Organization for the past two years. She held the local titles of Miss Cosmopolitan 2013 and placed in the top 10 at Miss New York 2013, and Miss City of New York 2014. On May 24th, 2014, Kira was crowned Miss New York 2014.

As her talent, Kazantsev performed a vocal performance to Pharrell’s hit ‘Happy’. Kazantsev’s personal platform for bettering her community is Love Shouldn’t Hurt: Protecting Women Against Domestic Violence.

The Miss America pageant contestants competed in three nights of preliminary competition to decide who would have the opportunity of being one step closer to the crown by placing in the Top 15.

Each year, 53 young women compete for the crown; one representing each state, along with the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Isalnds.

The Mid-South was represented well at Sunday night’s competition. Miss Tennessee Hayley Lewis and Miss Mississippi Jasmine Murray landed in the Top 10, and Miss Arkansas Ashton Campbell placed 2nd runner up in the pageant.

First runner up honors went to Miss Virginia, Courtney Paige Garrett. The third runner up placement went to Miss Florida, Victoria Cowen, and Miss Massachusetts Lauren Kuhn placed fourth runner up. All contestants won a minimal $2,000.00 scholarship for participating in the Miss America Organization competition.

The Miss America preliminary competitions are weighted score values based on competitions in Fitness in Swimsuit (15%), Evening Wear (20%), Talent (35%), Private Interview (25%), and On-Stage Question (5%).

The Miss America Organization is the world’s largest provider of scholarships for young women. Sunday, as a part of her one year reign as Miss America, Kira Kazantsev was awarded $50,000.00 in scholarship assistance to continue her education.