Coach Pendleton: Siding Out

Mary Elizabeth Hagan, Reporter

Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 8.41.26 AMOne of the toughest obstacles to overcome as a coach is recreating your team after losing several key players. Legendary Houston Volleyball Coach Pendleton is starting the 2014 season after placing in fifth at state, has high expectations for the upcoming season. Her roster is brimming with talent and ready to report.

Coach Pendleton had to shift some players into different positions, after losing three outstanding varsity seniors, to create a winning team. With the loss of seniors such as Charlotte Thompson, Mary Gardener, Katie Jernigan, Hannah Nelson, and Emily Richardson the team will be lacking in some of the experience from serious teams. On the other hand, new talent has become apparent during the first tournament of the season.

Coach Pendleton has moved junior, Kylie Hayes, to setter which creates a new dynamic for the team. She is focusing on the key point in the team’s success, “I think if we work on ball control… we can win.” She believes communication is also key to their success on the court.

After their crushing fifth place loss at state last year the team is motivated more than ever to win.The girls are working harder than ever to put points on the scoreboard this season, “We are all very competitive, and we don’t like to lose,” says junior, Rhonda White.

She has definitely assembled a winning roster this year composed of one senior, nine juniors, two sophomores, and one freshman. Many of these girls have been playing together for four years, but she is confident the new talent will be a good fit for them.

Positive that this team will lead them to state, Coach Pendleton is excited for the outcome of this season,”This team is motivated [to win] and works hard.” She is enthusiastic to see what this season will produce and expects to win districts, regionals, and get to state. The Lady Mustangs are going to be something to watch and cheer for this season.