Genie, You are Free

Jeff Victor: The Evolution of Robin Williams

Ansony Kim, Reporter

On August 11, 2014, we lost a beloved actor/comedian Robin Williams. He made the world laugh. Robin Williams was born on July 21, 1951 in Chicago, Illinois, but was raised mostly in California. He briefly studied political science before enrolling at Julliard to study theatre, which lead to his acting career.

Robin’s death was a shock to all. He committed suicide via asphyxia at his home near San Francisco, California. His media representative, Mara Buxbaum, told CNN that he was battling depression and his wife also revealed that he had early stages of Parkinson’s disease. The news of his death stunned the world.

President Barack Obama even spoke about his death stating “Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between.  But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien — but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit.  He made us laugh.  He made us cry.  He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most — from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets.”

Comedians, politicians and several generations of fans mourned the death of Robin Williams. People made memorials for Robin Williams where he has filmed his movies, TV shows, his Hollywood Walk of Fame, and the house where they filmed Mrs. Doubtfire. Robin Williams will always be remembered for his astoundingly fast, sharp, and agile mind and for his rare ability to combine that with the essence of humanity.