The Same Opinion Throughout

Mr. Parker mentoring a student after class.

Ashley Markle, Reporter

Its no secret life at Houston is better than last year. With a new school system and a new principal, teachers and students can feel a significant change in the atmosphere. Positivity has become a common tone with the students and teachers of Houston.

Last year, stress consumed classrooms as both students and teachers did not know what would happen with the splitting of our Shelby County district into the new Germantown Municipal School District. Now, with almost everything worked out and settled, everyone is noticing the promise this year holds.

Junior, Hailey Jeselson, has taken note, “Teachers are happier to be at school. They try harder than last year.” Kirsten Jones believes the switch comes from new administration, “When I heard Mr. Cherry was going to be principal, I thought everything is going to be different, good different.’ I’ve also noticed teachers look happier, like they are relieved.

Teachers last year suffered from the confusion when questions were raised about medical insurance, pay wages, and job availability. When asking Biology teacher Mr. Parker his take on the year so far, he was happy to respond with “I can feel the better atmosphere. I am happy with the new school system. Now we can get answers to questions, problems are being resolved, and our voices are being heard.”

Even though change is different, the new administration, rules, and district seem to be a positive change for the Houston family.