Started From The Bottom, Now We’re Here

Started From The Bottom, Now We're Here

Kelsee Woods, Reporter

Houston High School’s film and video department took strides in investing in the future of young video journalists over the summer. The city of Germantown granted Houston High the funds to create a state of the art studio to allow students to explore the mechanics of film and video. “I’m really excited to be able to play a part in helping students discover a passion for television equipment,” said Ryan Sweeney. Sweeney is new to Houston after being the previous Video Coordinator at Germantown High.

The studio is decked with ultramodern equipment such as an all-new LED field lighting kit, three Sony PMW-200 field cameras and two Mac Pros with avid editing software and Adobe Creative Cloud. The studio also includes a new Grassvalley T2 playback and recording system, a Presonus Studiolive Digital Performance and Recording Mixer, and a Ross Carbonite video switcher. The studio holds a CHAUVET stage designer lighting system and LED flat screen monitors. The students are ecstatic to begin working with the new equipment and are eager to explore what they can create.

The students will run the new and improved local cable station right out of the studio within the halls of Houston High.

Germantown Municipal Television, GMTV, will air on channel 17 and feature a guest corner, public announcements and other student activity. Houston High. The new GMTV studio gives aspiring journalists many opportunities and an experience that will have an impact on their academic lives in the future.

“This is exciting but also nerve-wrecking. We are still trying to get things up and running.” Drew Hamilton, teacher of Advanced Film and Video, expresses the studio is not quite complete and there are many aspects yet to be added therefore not all the features of the studio can be explored at this time. “This is exciting but also nerve-wrecking. We are still trying to get things up and running.

Even with its flaws, Houston’s new studio is a drastic upgrade from last year’s studio. Hamilton mentions many flaws the previous studio had such as the editing computer and all of their equipment all being in the space of their set.

The students are offered many opportunities to further their experience in this field. “Taking this class will be very beneficial to my major and will be helpful to me in the future,” said Olivia Susan.

The students are also granted the opportunity to get paid by the city of Germantown for recording occasional city hall meetings. “This is great experience that will look good on my college resume,” Katie Manuel expressed.