The Other Side of Mrs. Jones

The Other Side of Mrs. Jones

Ashley Markle, Reporter

After being at Houston for twenty-five years, Mrs. Jones, our assistant principal, has seen it all. Everyone sees her walking around the hallways, but does anyone really know her?
She started out at Houston as a ninth grade teacher, then moved to eleventh, and then the next five years she taught English and start the AP English program. When starting the program, she wanted to teach seniors to help them grow in English and prepare them for college. Her favorite part of being a teacher was being able to connect with the students.
Mrs. Jones was smiling as she told me,
“I use to invite them to my house at Christmas, after the first semester of
college, and we would sort of review what needed to be done, or what we
missed out on, or what difficulties we had.
And the first year I did that they said time management was a problem and taking exams was a problem because the program at that time everybody from ninth grade on was exempt from exams, so they went to college and it was hard for them to study an accumulative amount of information because in four years of high school they never had an exam.”
Houston changes the curriculum every few years, and the feedback from those college students changed the exemption rules. When college students came back frustrated they didn’t know how to study for an exam because they had been exempt all four years, administration decided all-year exemption would be better as a senior privilege.
Her responsibilities range from discipline, handling clubs, booking subs, being the PTSA liaison and cheer/pom liaison. These duties keep her busy. Away from the school she likes to spend time with her grandkids, “My family has a house and pontoon boat at Pickwick with a jet ski. If it isn’t family gatherings at someone’s house, we are at the lake for good family time.” If you think you saw Ms. Jones at the lake, you probably did!
With all the chaos from last year, Mrs. Jones opted to work through it. Even through all the confusion, she believes, “this is a great school, people don’t understand until they get in here how great our kids are.” But what is it about Houston? Ms. Jones explains, “I’ve taught at different schools, I’ve mentored several teachers as they become administrators, and you don’t appreciate Houston until you’ve gone seen other schools and then you walk out and say ‘I’m really blessed to be where I am’.”
Some people think Mrs. Jones is just the disciplinarian, but there is more to her than that. She is a person you can go to if you just need a friendly face.
There is a side to Mrs. Jones many people do not get to see because she is so busy. Her office workers get the opportunity to work with her and see the side she really wants students to see. “I’d like the students to know there is a side to me that is not the dress code stickler or the mean, strict person. I’d like them to know that I enforce the rules, but I really am a friendly, funny kind of person with a normal life.”