Familiar Face Aids in Transition

Familiar Face Aids in Transition

Antonio Scott, Reporter

As the 2014-2015 school year gears up, the administration is busy keeping Houston High fulfilling its “Excellence. Always.” motto. Evelyn Harris returned to Houston as Vice Principal after making history last school year. She was named the first African American Principal to lead Houston. Harris took the role in January and served until June.

Harris’ main role at Houston is to “support the Principal in curriculum and to serve as the designee for Principal in his or her [Principal] absence, and oversee master and student schedules.”

As Houston joined the newly formed Germantown Municipal School District (GMSD), Harris says she “still has the opportunity to influence students through curriculum and support [as Vice Principal].” In an interview with The Pony Express’ Antonio Scott Thursday, Harris said she is excited for “the opportunities for positive change and growth.” She is anxious for the new policies Houston administration will be able to create. “With a small district, administration is more accessible and able to discuss progressive ideas,” Harris said.

Harris envisions GMSD becoming one of the premiere districts in the state and the country; continuing the legacy already in progress at Houston High School. Harris’ drive for excellence helps lead Houston in a promising future.

Starting her career with legacy Shelby County Schools in 1984, Harris began teaching Freshman English and Spanish at Houston’s inception in 1989. At Houston’s onset, Harris remembers when the school was referred to as “the new kid on the block.” Harris stated as Houston progressed, students generated a competitive spirit in and outside of the classroom and initiated a tradition of excellence.

As a twenty plus year veteran of education, Harris has not made a decision on retirement yet, but would like to teach at the college level. From the classroom, to the Vice Principal and Principal’s roles, Harris is an exemplary example of dedicated education professionals that schools need, especially at Houston.