How to Most Efficiently Procrastinate

By a guy who has skated through his High School career procrastinating

How to Most Efficiently Procrastinate

Austin New, Writer

Work sucks. That’s a fact of life, especially in school. However, if we all want a passable GPA, we all have to do at least some of it. So, many students take to an age-old tradition. Procrastination. That act of putting off, or postponing, something. It’s a skill that takes years to perfect, and one only a select few have been able to master the craft. 

I am not one of those people.

That being said, I have created a five step program aimed to hone in your procrastination skills and become the perfect C+ average student. 

The 5-Step Program on How to Procrastinate

1. Know your due dates

The first step of procrastinating is to know when your work is due. There is a fine line between procrastinating and just not doing it. Other than knowing when the work needs to be done, it is also important to know how many things are due in one day. If you have ten things due on Friday, you might want to consider doing some on Wednesday, or during the day on Thursday before you get home. 

2. See how long you can procrastinate

Going along with the first point, knowing how long you can go without doing the work is an important step in procrastination. Do you have a months-long project in APUSH? Think about how much time you really need. Do you know about the topic well enough to get an A? Shave off a couple days. Do you already have a poster board? That’s another day off. A months-long project can soon become two weeks instead of four. However, if you have done nothing the day before, you’ve waited too long. 

3. Last minute is optimal, but not always possible 

Going off the large project idea, sometimes you really can’t just wait until the day before it’s due. While that is unfortunate, that doesn’t mean that most work you do cannot be done at the eleventh hour. Worksheets, work you didn’t get done in class, watching videos can all be done at the very last minute. Take some half-(word I cannot use because this in itself is a school project)-ed notes and be ready for your B- ‘s and C+ ’s to roll in. 

4. Break your work up into smaller chunks

Pace yourself. We’re trying to do the bare minimum, aren’t we? So, why not take a few breaks in between your work? You’ll get it done eventually. Especially if you have some work that is simple to do, but just incredibly tedious to finish. Go brew a cup of tea, start that show that you keep telling your friends that you would watch, but you just “don’t have the time”, or even start another piece of work. Just as long as you finish your original work. 

5. Enjoy yourself

Be fair to yourself. You deserve a break. It’s hard work procrastinating. So, after all your work is done, why not go do something you actually enjoy? That is, if you haven’t done all of them already.

Remember, procrastination is not for everyone. If the thought of not doing your work causes you stress, then don’t procrastinate. At the end of the day, do what works for you. However, if you are committed to improving your craft, then these five steps are sure to help.