The Magic of Baby Keem

The Magic of Baby Keem

Tyler Robertson, Writer

Baby Keem, a rapper otherwise known as Hykeem Carter, has had an impressive career to this point,
despite being only 21 years old. Hykeem was born in Carson, California on October 22nd, 2000, but grew
up in Las Vegas, Nevada. To begin his rapping career, he released 2 mixtapes, the first one being titled
The Sound of Bad Habit, which released in 2018, which was followed by Die for My B***h in 2019. His
second mixtape peaked at 196 on the U.S. charts.

In 2020, he was included in the XXL 2020 Freshman Class, which highlights young rappers at the beginning of their career in an attempt to bring attention to them. In 2021, he exploded after having one of the best months for a rapper in recent memory.

To start, he released a song, tiltled Family Ties, on August 27th with his cousin, the legendary rapper Kendrick
Lamar. The song immediately blew up, bringing widespread anticipation for his upcoming album. 2 days
later, when Kanye West’s 10th album, titled Donda in memory of his late mother, fans heard a feature
from Baby Keem on the song Praise God, which is considered to be one of the best verses on the album.
To follow that, he released his first studio album, titled The Melodic Blue, on September 10th. The album
was incredibly popular, peaking at number 5 on the U.S. charts and giving Hykeem incredible popularity,
kickstarting what may turn into a legendary career.