Opportunities for Students in Tennessee

Autumn Lee, Journalist

In the state of Tennessee, there are many different opportunities available to high school students. Some of these include: Governor’s School programs, the Senate Youth Program, the National Youth Science Camp Competition, and the Tennessee Academic Decathlon.

Governor’s Schools are offered for students over the summer before their junior or senior year. Here, students participate in a challenging four-week learning experiences on college campuses across the state. These schools include: Agricultural Sciences and Humanities at UT Martin, Arts at Middle TN State University, Computational Physics at Austin Peay State University, Emerging Technologies and Innovation and Entrepreneurship at TN Technological University, Integration of Biological and Statistical Sciences and Scientific Exploration of Tennessee Heritage at East TN State University, International Studies at the University of Memphis, Prospective Teachers at UT Chattanooga, and Science and Engineering UT Knoxville. The deadline for application materials to your guidance counselor at Houston is November 10.

The Senate Youth Program selects two current junior or senior high school students from each state to go to Washington, D.C. for a week of activities. Some of these activities include visits to the Senate, the House of Representative, the Supreme Court, and the Pentagon. Afterwards, each student is awarded a $10,000 college scholarship. Students must be engaged in either school government or local government organizations in order to apply.

The National Youth Science Camp Competition accepts two graduating high school students from every state to participate in lectures from scientists across the nation. Students are able to converse with scientist and even share ideas of their own. Additionally, students engage in activities such as backpacking, rock-climbing, and caving in Monogahela National Forest and enjoy a visit to Washington, D.C. The deadline to apply is February 28, 2018.

The Tennessee Academic Decathlon is a ten-event competition that teams of high school students can part take in. Students can participate regardless of academic ability. The theme for 2017-2018 is Africa. During competitions, students compete through delivering speeches, writing essays, answering interview questions, and taking exams.

All of these opportunities help to provide scholarships and long-lasting experiences for high school students.

For more information, visit https://www.tn.gov/education/topic/opportunities-for-students?mc_cid=5683633d17&mc_eid=dc320e6994