National German Week

National German Week

Autumn Lee, Journalist

This week at Houston High School and many other high schools around the world,
students are celebrating National German Week. National German Week is celebrated October
2-8. The goal of German Week is to celebrate American and German heritage and to educate
students on the German language and culture. At Houston High, Ms. Penrod is having students
give presentations each day to better learn about German culture.
Each day of National German Week has a theme. The theme on Monday, October 2 was
Schwarz-Rot- Gold Day. On Schwarz-Rot- Gold Day, students show their German pride by
wearing black, red, and gold, (the German flag colors). Tuesday, October 3 was Day of German
Unity. Day of German Unity is an actual German national holiday that memorializes the
anniversary of German Unification in 1990. Wednesday, October 4 was National Teach German
Day, intended to celebrate teachers, educate people on the importance of learning German, and
encourage more people to become German teachers. Thursday, October 5 was Famous German-
American Day. Students celebrate German-Americans including various actors, athletes,
scientists, and artists. Finally, Friday, October 6 is National German-American Day. This is a
day to honor the impact of German culture on America and the first German families to settle in
America in 1683.
The celebration doesn’t stop with the end of the school week. Saturday, October 7 is
Business Connections Day, intended to educate students on Germany’s business ties to American
economy. Germany is America’s largest European trading partner and a lot of products we use
today are made in Germany. Sunday, October 8 is German-American Culture Day. October 8 is
a day to remember the impact of Germany’s culture on the U.S., such as hot dogs and Christmas

trees. National German week helps to educate and raise awareness for students all over the U.S.
on the importance of German culture and the language.
For more information, visit http://www.aatg.org/?page=NationalGermanWeek