On The Inside

On The Inside

Luke Kim, Journalist

In School Suspension can actually be better than normal school if you get the right teachers, and at Houston that’s definitely possible. There are some great teachers here I will admit, but there are also terrible ones. Last year I had a couple really good teachers, but I also had one I would classifiy as the worst teacher in the school. At that time, I didn’t want to go to ISS since it was the equivalent to prison in school, but now I wouldn’t mind too much if I went back. I might even try to get it again in the future if I get tired of my teachers’ awful personalities and terrible teaching styles. ISS can be a good break for some students, but prison and punishment for others.

One of the other guys in the room with me got three days as well, but only skipped seventh one day. There were about five people in the room my first day, two girls and three guys. It was my first time in ISS, but I already had done things like it. Everyone in the room was good at getting into trouble and didn’t really care if they were there.

My teachers gave me work to do while I was there, and I was actually happier there than I would have been in class. I could just read the book and answer the questions instead of listening to them lecture, tell their awful jokes, and express their opinions that nobody cares about. It was kind of relaxing, but also very boring as well. At times, other teachers would come into the room and chat with ours but that just made it miserable. When the other teacher is in the room, you can’t do anything. One is facing the door sitting, the other is facing the back of the room standing. It’s basically when the guards make their rounds in prison. All the cards go away, fighting stops, talking stops. Everything and everyone is looked at closely, then you can do whatever you want again. If you are quiet, it’s possible to get away with almost anything.