Toddler Saves Twin Brother Stuck Under Dresser


Jack Franklin

On Thursday December 27th, 2016, Utah mother, Kayli Shoff,witnessed a terrifying video of her two twin boys playing on their dresser. Shot by the boy’s “nanny cam”, the video shows the video toppling over and pinning the two boys. The first boy manages to free himself; however, his twin stays pinned underneath the fallen dresser. The free brother tries to lift the dresser up but is too weak. The video shows the brother standing and seemingly pondering for a few seconds about how he can free his trapped twin. After pushing the dresser horizontally, he is able to give his twin enough room to squeeze himself out from underneath the dresser. Both brothers seemed to be unharmed.

In an interview with the Washington Post, Shoff admits that she was embarrassed by the video because she knew it clearly showed that she and her husband had not properly anchored their dresser to the wall. After discussing with family and friends, she decided to share the video.

The mother posted the video to YouTube on Saturday December 31st hoping to raise awareness about the importance of safely securing furniture. Since being posted, the video has been viewed more than 11 million times.

According to a report by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 30,000 people are treated in emergency rooms due to accidents involving appliances and furniture. Over 50 percent of these injuries happened to children under the age of 18, and 61 percent were caused by falling or tipping furniture.

Accidents, like the one that happened with the Shoff twins, show the importance of child anchoring furniture in home with small children. This child proofing of homes will help prevent accidents in the home. In a comment with NBC News, Shoff said, “I think we’ve made a big impact on people wanting to secure their dressers,” she said. “You need to tie your dresser down today because honestly, if you wait a day or two, you’re just not going to get it done.”


Link to YouTube video: