New Years Eve Terrorist Attack

New+Years+Eve+Terrorist+Attack

© EPA

Mallory Carty, Writer

At a New Year’s Eve celebration in Istanbul, a terrorist shooting occurred. 39 people were left dead, while 70 others were hospitalized. One man, who was on vacation from Delaware, was saved from a shot by his cell phone. The victim, Jack Raak, claimed that he survived the shooting at the nightclub “Reina” by playing dead. Raak remained to play dead, even after he had been shot by the suspect. According to reports, the gunman entered the blub at 1:15 a.m. He killed a police officer who was guarding the gate of the club before shooting several people. Officials called the shooting a “cruel and cold-blooded act”. Raak was shot in the leg, and doctors said that the bullet could have hit a major artery if it weren’t for the cell phone. He told NBC News, “When he shot me I didn’t move- I just let him shoot me. I was shot when I was already on the ground. He was shooting people that he had already shot.” At the time of the shooting, he was on vacation at the nightclub “Reina” with a group of nine people, in which seven were shot. According to police, the shooting only lasted 10 minutes. The gunman fired 120 rounds, shooting and killing 24 men, and 15 women. On Monday, ISIS did claim responsibility for the massacre. The gunman is still being searched for in an “international manhunt”.