Running the Table

Running the Table

Houston Athletics, Writer

It’s often said is athletics, “Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.” The Houston Football team had a bit of both in this season’s sweep it’s fellow newly formed municipal schools.

The Houston Football Team’s 42-41 victory October 7th over Arlington was the latest example of some extremely well played football mixed in with some fortuitous bounces.

Beginning with a 40-7 throttling of traditional rival, Germantown High, We proceeded to establish a foundation of success built on a solid running game, opportunistic passing and a disciplined defense designed to make the opponents 2nd and 3rd options beat Us. It was evident versus the Red Devils which only lead in one statistical category at the end of the game…penalties.

We played well.

Our next Region opponent was the Bartlett Panthers and We used a little bit of luck to pull through lights on that Friday night. We never found a rhythm on the offensive side of the ball and most of that was due to the inspired play of Our opponent. To be frank, We were outplayed for a majority of the game. But high school football is a 48 minute contest and despite several penalties late in the game, We prevailed when a last second field goal got a gust from the gods and sailed right of the goal post.

We were fortunate.

Then came Collierville, which was discussed in detail here. But in summary, good things happened in large part due to our poise and focus.

We earned Our good fortune.

Along came Arlington, We had a different kind of opponent…prosperity.

How would We respond to high profile wins versus neighborhood rivals? The answer was found in an exciting night of football.

Big plays and penalties often determine the winner of many a high school football game and that Friday night was no exception.

We broke loose for a kick off return, two touchdown passes of 58 and 71 yards and a very meticulous 12 play drive that ended in a 1 yard touchdown run on Our way to 42 points.

Senior Terrell Tatum had his best offensive night as a Mustang with that 92 yard kick-off return, a 58 yard touchdown reception and what turned out to be the winning 10 yard touchdown run in overtime.

Senior running backs Carson Blackfan and Jeramie Tate combined for 127 yards rushing, while quarterback Garrett Bates completed 7 of 10 passes for 197 yards.

We controlled the ball and tempo of the game, took advantage of their secondary mistakes, while maintaining a lead most of the game.

Defensively, We simply played disciplined, and made enough plays when it mattered…and on that night fortune favored the team who made the fewest mistakes.

In the end, once again Our composure and control of our emotions while staying focused on our individual roles on the field helped solidify the win.

We were resilient.

In all but one of these games, we trailed late and had several opportunities to give in to fatigue, doubt or any of the things teams use as excuses when setbacks occur. But that has not been on display with this team.

With a home playoff game in Our future as a result of Our series of victories, We a looking forward to seeing Coach Hudgens and the team giving Us more memories from a special season.