Brock Turner Released for “Good Behavior”

Skylar Hampton, Writer

Brock Turner is a former swimmer and student at Stanford University.

On January 18, 2015, two men found Brock Turner sexually assaulting an unconscious woman behind a dumpster. The two men claimed that the woman was unresponsive and half-naked when they found her.

In February 2015, Turner pled not guilty to 5 felony charges in court. He claimed that the woman gave consent and they were only hooking up. He was released on bail shortly after.

In October 2015, Brock found himself in court once again for a preliminary hearing. He claimed not guilty once more, and two of the five felony charges were dropped.

Fast forward to March 2016, Brock Turner was convicted of raping the woman behind the dumpster. The jury was contemplating a maximum of 10 years behind bars. Turner filed to appeal the courts decisions.

On June 2, 2016, Brock Turner was sentenced to only 6 months in jail, with additional 3 months probation. The judge claimed that a longer sentence would have lasting effects on Turner. Due to his clean criminal background, the judge determined he would “be of no harm to anyone.”

Brock Turner was released from jail on Friday, September 2, after only serving half of his original sentence. The judge over Turner’s case, Aaron Pensky, decided to release Turner early on account of his “good behavior”.

The alleged rapist has been hiding out at his parent’s home in Ohio. Several armed protesters have been standing outside of his home since the media has become aware of his release. Turner’s parents have contacted local police to patrol the neighborhood in fear for their safety.

On Tuesday, September 6, Brock Turner registered himself as a sex offender. This registration was part of his original sentence from Judge Pensky.. The county sheriffs will be required to send out a letter notifying Turner’s neighbors that he is now a tier III sex offender.

Brock Turner will be mandated to register himself every 90 days for the remainder of his life.