Flooding In Louisiana

Nora Cooper, Writer

On August 14, President Barack Obama issued a disaster declaration for the disastrous flooding in Louisiana. So at least six people are said to be dead, and more than 20,000 people had been rescued after being stranded.

The flood has broken a record after almost 22 inches of rain fell in just two days.

This record- breaking flood has also become very real for Houston High school’s own Candace Plaisance, who has many family members who lost their homes and belongings. Including her grandmother whose home is said to be eight feet underwater, and her cousin who is eight months pregnant who lost her home.

“It’s hard to believe it’s even real,” she said in interview. She also explained the problem with the flooding in Baton Rouge is that “it is not a flood zone, whereas most of Louisiana is.” Because of this, many of the people who live there do not have insurance that covers flooding.

She also described how fast the flood occurred. “Within two hours, people had six feet of water in their houses.”

Many have been taking action to help the people of southern Louisiana. Approximately 5,000 people had had to spend the night in shelters around the state as they escaped the flood. It has also been said that over a thousand members of the Louisiana National Guard have been working to help in rescues, and helicopters have been brought in to deliver food and water as well as transport injured citizens. The Federal Emergency Management Agency is said to be starting to develop plans on where to find places for all the people who lost there homes to live.

However, according to Ms. Plaisance, there is still a question of what will happen after. “After the Red Cross leaves and FEMA provides support, but not a whole lot.”

To support Ms. Plaisances family and other victims of the flooding, Houston’s Student Government Association is beginning to collect donations in order to help. According to the SGA sponsor, Traci Spain, they are collecting “travel- sized toiletries, diapers, blankets, clothes, and other supplies as well as monetary donations to send to the shelters in Louisiana.”