The New SAT

The New SAT

Emily McFarland, Staff Writer

On Saturday, March 5th, prospective college students were the first to take a redesigned SAT. For the first time in over ten years, the SAT was given a makeover, in an attempt to design a test to prepare students for content more likely to be expressed in college and life as an adult.

The College Board has assured the public that this redesigned test is more suitable to assess students for college potential, using a more modernized vocabulary assessment, more efficient and effective section organization, and no more penalties for guessing on unknown questions.

According to many test preparation experts, the new test has been revamped to be more like the ACT, the SAT’s competitor. For many years, the SAT has been gradually losing market to the SAT because of its expensive price and difficulty to access. In addition, the SAT has been criticized by test professionals for its creation of disadvantages for minorities, women, and the poor (who are typically unable to hire professional tutors in preparation for the assessment). Khan Academy has partnered up with The College Board to provide free online tutoring at an attempt to combat this issue.

As many colleges are gradually becoming test-optional, time will only tell if this newly designed SAT will be beneficial to both potential college students and test makers alike.