Principal Killed Saving Students

Claire Payne, Assistant Content Editor and Staff Writer

On Tuesday, January 26, a school principal put her life on the line to save two students from an oncoming bus and died saving those students from a potential calamity. Susan Jordan, 69, principal of Amy Beverland Elementary in Indianapolis, Indiana for 22 years, was struck and killed by a bus full of 25 students. She was walking with two students, when she pushed the kids out of the path of the bus, and the kids ended up getting hit but remained in stable condition.

Investigators are still trying to figure out how that school bus ended up jumping the curb, but they are currently testing the blood draw from the driver. The driver, however, showed “no signs of intoxication,” neither was she suffering any medical emergencies. The local police sergeant stated that he believed it was primarily an operator error.

The students, faculty, and staff posted a video last May reciting glowing testimonials about the Principal. Here is the link to this truly heartwarming video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ0ux_UtrTE.

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence recently ordered flags to be lowered at state facilities from sunrise to sunset on the day of her funeral, in honor of her courageous acts. Susan Jordan was a hero; up until the very last second of her life, she was protecting the kids.