I Stand With Ahmed

I Stand With Ahmed

Baylor Williamson, Staff Writer

Headlines have been sprawled across almost every major news outlet in the past few weeks following the story of Ahmed Mohamed. An Islamic Texan teen who was wrongly accused of bringing a bomb to school after showing off his latest invention, a homemade clock, to his engineering teacher. Although no charges were filed, Ahmed was handcuffed by the police and taken into questioning. Immediately it became a national issue, displaying the discrimination that occurs in America everyday. While I believe that racism is a prevalent issue that needs to be addressed, I think this situation has been skewed and exaggerated by the media.

We have all seen unspeakably violent acts committed in schools recently. Something as ordinary as obtaining an education now presents a possible danger. With all the innocent children being gunned down, injured, and even killed, it is a school’s responsibility to report suspicious activities. When Ahmed walked through the doors of MacArthur High School that day with what appeared to be a bomb, it was the faculties duty to report it. The police investigated the matter, as they should have, and when Ahmed was found to be innocent he was released.

The schools intention was never to display an attitude of Islamophobia, but rather to ensure the safety of its students. How different would this matter be depicted in the media had this actually been a bomb, and the school’s staff noticed yet simply ignored it because they did not want to offend anyone? National outrage would occur, as it should. When did the safety of our students become second to being politically correct? As Americans we need to be able to determine the actual issue at hand, and its not racism, its one of security.