Hitting Their Way to College

Mary Elizabeth Hagan, Staff Writer

The Houston volleyball program has produced many great athletes. Several of their stars have signed to play at the collegiate level. This streak continues with five of the seniors on the team this year: Rhonda White, Kylie Hayes, Bronwyn Worthy, Krysta Madearis, and McKenna Wharton.

Rhonda White, middle hitter, has signed to play at Henderson State. Henderson State is a public liberal arts school in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. White has been at Houston High and has played on the volleyball team since freshman year. Outside of school ball, she, along with some of her teammates play for the Viper volleyball club. White has nothing but good things ahead of her as she heads off to become a Reddie.

Kylie Hayes, libero, has committed to play at Tennessee State university. Tennessee State is an HBCU in Nashville, TN. They have produced notable alumni such as Oprah Winfrey and Wilma Rudolph. Kylie has been on the varsity volleyball team since her freshman year at Houston. Outside of the world of high school athletics, she plays for the Memphis Juniors volleyball club. We all expect great things from this new TSU Tiger!

Bronwyn Worthy, hitter, has committed to play at Alabama State University. Worthy started playing for Houston her sophomore. She is an outstanding hitter on the court. Another Houston player committed to ASU, Krysta Madearis. She also plays front row hitter with Worthy. She started playing sophomore year.

McKenna Wharton, right side, orally committed to University of West Georgia. Wharton transferred to Houston during her junior year. She has stunned with her skills on the court. University of West Georgia has produced athletes like Brandon Jamison and Odell Willis. We all hope the best for McKenna.

The volleyball program has helped these girls transform into collegiate level players. They are joining the ranks of Houston greats. These girls have a great future ahead of them.