Student Access: DENIED

Student Access: DENIED

Natasha Caudill, Staff Writer

It has come to the attention of many students that the student access WiFi which once graced our phones with endless tweets and snapchats, is gone. Students were able to access the WiFi for about a year before all phones were subsequently blocked off of it. John Burnett from the school technology support explained why students personal phones had been banned from the WiFi. “We want to make sure that there is a strong internet signal during instructional time, and adding another 2000 devices to the network would put more stress on our infrastructure,” he explained while adding that students could just use their own data while using their phones at school. Many teachers use school laptops for their classes and having a strong internet signal is key to efficient use of these.

However, since the cell phone policy was changed a couple of years ago, Internet that students can access on any device may be a better approach. Students are now allowed to have their cell phones with them in class, and usage of the phones is determined by the teacher. This was a huge development from the “turned off and in your locker” method the school had been using before. Nowadays, teachers will simply tell students to pull out their phones to search things for that class. Students with unlimited data may not think twice about this but for the students who shares an entire data plan with their family, this may not be easy. There is always a risk of running over data limits and to put it bluntly, doesn’t that mean we’re basically paying to complete classwork? Wireless internet in the classroom would greatly benefit us in these growing technological times.

While we may not be seeing an arrow of three bars on our phones at school anytime soon, Mr. Burnett did offer some hope. In the coming school years, students will be receiving school issued laptops. These will eliminate the student access WiFi problem and will greatly aid students in the classroom. Until then, try not to use your families entire data plan for the month in two days worth of snapchats from school.