Public School vs. Private School

Public School vs. Private School

Patrick Canter, Staff Writer

Public schools and private schools have always had their differences. One is always viewed as better than the other, but how do you really know unless you’ve been to both? I recently transferred from Christian Brothers to Houston High-School, and now I can see the differences clearly, and even some similarities.

I’ll start out with the obvious, co-ed vs. single sex schools. This is definitely the biggest difference between Houston High and Christian Brothers and most private schools in Memphis. People will argue that going to a single sex school will make it easier to concentrate, and while this is true to a certain point, it’s not that difficult to concentrate at a co-ed either. Going to a single-sex school definitely made things more difficult when it came to dating and meeting people, which is something I’ve been asked about a lot. But at the same you were always safe and away from the drama that comes with it.
Another major difference between public and private schools is school size. Houston’s student population is almost two times larger than Christian Brothers’, and it can be very easy to get lost in the crowd. At many private schools, the population is much lower, and if you ever happen to slip when it comes to grades, the teachers and administration can give you the help you need. While this can be helpful, you can also get the support you need at a public school. You may need to go look for the help yourself by, for instance, going to a teacher before or after school. But, if you’re committed to your academic life, this won’t be a problem.

One of the biggest stereotypes about private schools is the lack diversity when it comes to cultures, races, and ethnicities. I would have to say that I agree with that stereotype. While private schools accept and encourage people of all cultures to attend their schools, it just doesn’t happen as much at a private school. This is one of the main reasons I was drawn to explore my options at HHS. Every day you can meet new people with cultures different than your own. You are always learning something different about people here at HHS, and I have to say, that’s not something you get a lot of at private school.

So, which is better, public or private? While they do have their differences, they can be more similar than we may think. I have enjoyed my time at both, and they both are great in their own ways. But, if you’re deciding which would be better for you, I would recommend talking to friends about it, and touring both to see which is a better fit for you. The quality of education is great at both, and I can genuinely say I have enjoyed my experience at both schools. It’s really all about what you put into it. I hope this helps those who are deciding between the two, and helps those at either one see that public schools and private schools are a lot more alike then you might think.