Houston Senior Accepted to All 8 Ivies

Class President Ronald Nelson making a name for himself

Houston Senior Accepted to All 8 Ivies

Antonio Scott, Reporter

A rarity in our country, it is very few times we see a teen accepted to all eight Ivy League schools. The Ivy League, or the Ivies, is known as the most prestigious and honored schools in the northeastern United States. The eight institutions are Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, and Yale University. The term Ivy League has a connotation of academic excellence, selectivity in admissions, and social elitism.

Even as rare as it is, one Houston Mustang was accepted to all eight. Band Field Commander, AP Scholar, and Senior Class President Ronald Nelson created his track of excellence at Houston High beginning with his freshman year.

At the beginning of Ronald’s senior year, he only intended to apply to a few, local state colleges. He was soon encouraged to ‘go big’ and apply for more schools outside of the south.

“A general consensus was, ‘you’ve done a lot through your four years of high school,” Nelson said in an interview with The Commercial Appeal’s Jennifer Pignolet. In addition to being accepted to the Ivies, Nelson also received congratulatory admissions letters from a handful of other schools, including Alabama, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Washington University, New York University and Johns Hopkins.

Nelson says he’s leaning toward Harvard or Columbia. He said a news special on children with cleft palates motivated him to go into medicine, specifically plastic surgery.

Ronald has a 4.5 weighted GPA, scored a 34 on the ACT, a 2260 on the SAT; and a perfect 800 on the Spanish SAT subject test. He is president of the senior class, a drum major in the marching band, plays the saxophone as first-chair in the all-state jazz band, and is a member of National Honors Societies for social studies, math and Spanish. Doctors Without Borders is on his long list of ambitions.

No questions that Ronald has a great many scholastic opportunities ahead of him in his lifetime. Ronald has still not made a final decision as to what school he will attend in the fall.