Houston STAT Wins National Jefferson Award

Program awarded Gold banner third year in a row

Antonio Scott, Reporter

In its fourth year of operation, Houston High School’s community service, student leadership, and philanthropy group, Students Taking Action Today, or STAT, has been awarded the regional 2015 National Jefferson Award for Public Service Gold Banner Ambassador School from the Students in Action awards committee. This is the third consecutive year the program has been awarded such prestigious acclaim.

Under the facilitation of Ms. Josephine Hammond and student chairwoman Samantha Mooneyham, the Houston STAT group’s 2014-2015 mission was to help alleviate Hunger, Homelessness, and Poverty in the Mid-South. In association with the Mid-South Food Bank, STAT organizes many community wide service drives throughout the year. Its 2015 flagship event, Houston vs. Hunger, collected approximately 3,000 canned goods and raised almost $300.00. All proceeds benefited the Mid-South Food Bank.

To expand upon STAT, it is a ground-breaking group that provides networking and collaboration among the various student organizations on campus to coordinate larger community service projects while broadening the student body’s participation. Since its inception in September 2011, STAT has served as the leadership team for coordinating and participating in community outreach projects benefitting our school, service in the local community, and non-profit organizations.

More about the Jefferson Awards: The Jefferson Awards (JA) Foundation is committed to tapping into the incredible capacity and spirit of young people. Through Students In Action, Lead360 Challenge, and GlobeChangers programs, JA supports, trains and empowers today’s youth to be leaders, problems solvers, entrepreneurs and impactful global citizens. JA identifies and celebrates local unsung heroes who serve in communities across the country.

More about Students in Action: Launched in 2006 by the Jefferson Awards Foundation and Deloitte, Students In Action (SIA) develops high school students into community leaders. Currently active in 300 high schools in communities across the country, the program encourages students to positively impact their schools, communities and world.