The Missing 43

The Missing 43

Bryson Russell, Reporter

Forty-three male students from the Raúl Isidro Burgos Rural Teachers’ College of Ayotzinapa in Iguala, Guerrero, Mexico have gone missing. The shear number of students is enough for concern. What makes this case even more concerning is the fact Mexican authorities claim that José Luis Abarca Velázquez (Mayor of Iquala) and his wife, María de los Ángeles Pineda Villa, were behind the incident. The students did not just go missing, they were abducted. The students protested against a speech that the Mayor’s wife was giving when a brutal brawl broke out between police and protesters. Later the protesters were rounded up by authorities and taken away. They were transported to be handed off to a crime syndicate know as the Guerreros Unidos or “United Warriors”. The students were then killed and burned to ash.
     Three men from the Guerreros Unidos gang have been taken into custody. They explained in gruesome detail how they handled the 43 missing students. They told officials they burned them, most of them still alive, then disposed of the bodies. Many other officials and law enforment have been obtained for having been invloved. A mass grave has already been found and the identity of only one of the students has been confirmed. Many Mexican citizens believe the remaining 42 students may still be alive though the remaining bodies have yet to be identified. The student identified as Alexander Mora, a 19 year old who attended college with the other 42 missing students. His father stated, “That was my son’s dream, to become a teacher, but, there’s nothing we can do now, they took away my son’s dream,” (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-30374975).
     With all of the struggle, parents and supports have been injured due to an attack made on a Mexican military station in Guerrero state. The base was run by the 27th Infantry Battalion right in the city of Iguala. The attack was provoked due to tension over there being corrupt government officals in the Mexican government. The protesters attacked the base ramming the gates with a delivery truck, right through the station gate. Military police responded with fire extinguishers pushing them back, these actions were in turn returned with rocks. Several other bases and militarized zones have been attacked. Authorities say that parents of the missing students are allowed to search the bases, but they have to make a formal request before hand. Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto has met with the parents of the missing students and has plans to investigate this case. The parents refused to believe his words concerning the investigation and wanted him to sign a doctrine that they could agree with. The mexican president refused. The case is still ongoing and may take even longer to come to a close.