The Dancing Queen of Houston

Claire Payne, Reporter

As you walk down the hallways of Houston, you may notice a particular student who always seems in high spirits with her friendly “hello’s” and her contagious laughter. Meet, senior, Mallory McFarland. When she’s not too busy strutting down the hallways, she’s dancing.

Mallory dances with Company D, a nationally recognized dance company “committed to creating awareness of the talents and gifts of all individuals.” She has been dancing with them for six years, but her dance history started ten years ago. Company D has performed at locations such as the St. Jude Marathon and their Let It Be a Dance! They dance a variety of genres including ballet, jazz, and modern.

Mallory, of course, is the star of the show. She particularly enjoys ballet and loves the blissful feeling of being on stage, everyone watching her graceful moves. She has gained confidence through her dancing; she used to get anxious before shows, but eventually came to love the spotlight.

Not only is Mallory a magnificent dancer, but also the Buddy Co-Director of Best Buddies at Houston. Best Buddies is a “nonprofit organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).” This organization actually didn’t come to Houston until this year, and because of Mallory’s help, we get to enjoy the opportunity of building lifelong friendships.

When Mallory’s not too busy hanging out with her many friends, she’s truly making a difference in our community.