Cosby Resigns from Temple University amid Rape Allegations

Iconic legend repeatedly accused of sexual molestation

Antonio Scott, Reporter

In the wake of many accusations of rape and sexual molestation, actor Bill Cosby resigned Monday, December 1st, from Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Cosby served as a member on Temple’s Board of Trustees since 1982. Cosby, 77, is a beloved comedian and actor, most notably known for his role as Dr. Cliff Huxtable in the legendary 80’s-90’s sitcom, The Cosby Show.

In a statement issued on Monday, Cosby said: “I have always been proud of my association with Temple University. I have always wanted to do what would be in the best interests of the university and its students. As a result, I have tendered my resignation from the Temple University Board of Trustees.”

Cosby attended Temple in the 1960’s. While several other universities have already broken ties with Cosby, including the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Temple had not publicly disenfranchised itself from Cosby before his resignation early this week.

On Monday, Temple University administrators released a statement regarding Cosby’s resignation, stating: “The Board of Trustees accepts Dr. Cosby’s resignation from the board and thanks him for his service to the university.”

Plenty of accusers, all women, have come forward to accuse Cosby of sexual assault. The first accuser, Andrea Constand, former director of operations for Temple University’s women’s basketball team, unsuccessfully sued Cosby in 2004 alleging he drugged and assaulted her. Cosby and Constand settled the case out of court in 2006.

Cosby has never been indicted or charged with a crime, including these recent rape allegations. His lawyer, Marty Singer, has called the allegations “ridiculous” and has stated it is “completely illogical” that no one would have made reports to police.

Statutes of limitations are written laws passed by a legislative body in common law systems to restrict the maximum time after an event that legal proceedings may be initiated. Since the statute of limitations time limit has been surpassed, it is more than likely Cosby will not be legally charged for these allegations.