STUDENTS TAKE CHARGE OF STAGE

Student Directed One Act Plays Take Center Stage at Houston High

Back to Article
Back to Article

STUDENTS TAKE CHARGE OF STAGE

Houston's Student Directed One-Act Plays Open October 17 at 7pm

Kelsee Woods, Staff Writer

Houston High School builds on it’s strong tradition with this season’s student-directed one-acts. Three drama students, (Erin McGory, Gracie Weiss, and John Durden) held their own auditions, cast their own scenes, and will conduct their overall production beginning October 17.

Poster 2

Each student fueled by their art sacrificed the long hours after-school for the past month continually fine tuning the outcome.

Theater Memphis helped by lending props and costumes for each individual show. Thus allowing the students to have free access to their equipment with no charge.

Each of the three scenes include a different cast and its own individual story. The humor is continuous and the actors show outstanding commitment to their roles. The composition of the production is simple with not much of a set or any added effects, putting emphasis on the actor’s raw talent. These students are anxious to show their results of hard work and passion. “These students are piloting something new for Houston High. It feels good to sit back and barely step in at all as they show what they can do,” said Kell Christie, Head of Drama Department.

“I’m super grateful for this opportunity! It’s helping me get a feel for what I would like to pursue further in my theatre career.”  Said Gracie Weiss.

Each student has intentions on being figures within the theatre. These students are active thespians outside of school and all share a passion for the performing arts. “I definitely see myself doing more directing after sharing this experience,” said Erin McGory.

Bad Auditions By Bad Actors, directed by Gracie Weiss, is a comedy that exaggerates a bizarre audition for the casting of Romeo and Juliet. The scene shows a series of actors auditioning for a play, each offering a humorous aspect that’s sure to make you laugh.

The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon, directed by Erin McGory, is a satire of chosen classic fairy tales. The cast puts a twist on each story while modernizing them for today’s audience.

A Marriage Proposal, directed by John Durden, is a quick story of gentlemen who comes to propose to his neighbor. What seems to be set out as a romance is twisted because the two cannot stop arguing.

Student-directed one-acts are new to Houston High and with such good results it seems that it will continue. The three young directors have initiated a new tradition, setting the expectations high.

Be sure to come and support these determined thespians as they debut their work.

A Series of Unfortunate One-Act Plays is showing October 17-19 at 7pm on Friday and Saturday and 2 on Sunday.