Fishing for Success

Alumna from the University of Mississippi switches from the Southwind Jags to the Houston Stangs.

Fishing for Success

McKenzie Stieff, Reporter

During her high school years Fisher was involved in many leadership clubs as she was the secretary for both National Honor Society and Student Council. She was also the President of the Science club and a member of South Panola High’s S.A.D.D (students against destructive decisions) chapter. As a focused student it was easy for Fisher to juggle. Working at a local supermarket, school, and her after school commitments.

When it was time for college she automatically had her sights set on pursuing an education at Alcorn State University. Unfortunately became homesick, and transferred to Ole Miss. Fisher describes Ole Miss as her “home away from home!” Being a minority and a leader in high school Fisher found an interest in a campus club, Black Student Union. The Ole Miss alumna acquired a bachelors and masters degree in social work. Fisher says “I loved it; you have to go [to school] with business in mind, make sure you prioritize because you can do it all.”

As a crisis counselor, one of her first tasks is to introduce the new S.A.D.D Fisher states, “This is something that I am very passionate about.” She summarizes about how teens in our community are facing way more issues than drinking and driving. So, as the crisis counselor she will be a figure that will be more than a regular counselor by helping the Houston community and its students. Fisher is dedicated to helping Houston overcome and solve our issues.